Re: [OM] FEAR of Cleaning - What's the solution?

Subject: Re: [OM] FEAR of Cleaning - What's the solution?
From: Lars Haven <lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 1998 21:29:22 +0200
Clyde Soles wrote:

> >Even local camera stores have them now. Just make sure it says 'microfiber'
> >and that it is not just a lens cleaning cloth of the type we know and hate.
> >B&H has many. I have a Canon brand that works for me.
> >
> >To answer an earlier post, I have seldom had a need to resort to liquid
> >first. If you blow the grit off the lens first, there is nothing to grind.
> >I find these cloths are perfect for the various fingerprints, smudges, and
> >haze that one encounters frequently.
>
> FWIW I still use microfiber clothes on occassion but have mostly switched
> to a LensPen ($10-15 most camera stores). I find it more convenient, easy
> to carry, and very effective. I was skeptical till I tried it.

The lens pen is very handy in the field. I got one with a retractable
brush on the other end, which handles most of the cleaning. I am
a little worried if there may be some long term effects (more abrasion?)
I still like the blower, brush and lens tissue combination at home.
Breathing on the lens is usually sufficient as cleaning fluid.

One problem with cleaning lenses: Even the most gentle cleaning will
eventually wear down the coating by simple abrasion.

Regards
Lars
--
Lars Haven  <mailto:lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> aka <lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
"When writing about women, one must dip one's pen in a rainbow"