Re: [OM] Keeping OM alive

Subject: Re: [OM] Keeping OM alive
From: "Paul D. Farrar" <farrar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 1998 10:32:34 -0500

>Granted.  The issue now is whether autofocus, with all its pros and
>cons, is something we would want on an OM upgrade.  I'm more than happy
>without it.
>
>Regards
>
>Andy

Personally, at this point I am more interested in an improved and updated
manual focus body. Sort of the line taken by the Leica R8 and Contaxes
(except AX), without the size. These companies, although small sellers,
manage to upgrade their body and lens lines at regular intervals. Charging a
lot more helps, but a new OM-3T is pretty steep, too. The main thing I want
is a higher sync speed and for all flash modes to work with all exposure
modes. (How do you get TTL flash with a 1/15s shutter speed? You can't.) As
I pointed out earlier, most of the needed improvements can be done with no
more R&D and retooling expense than the OM-4 to OM-4T upgrade. It's a lot
less expensive than what they are going to have to spend on digital. If they
are going to stay in the digital marketplace, they are going to have to
develop a whole new line of digital SLRs and autofocus lenses at some point,
because, as that market develops, they won't be able to slide by with
IS-style cameras.

Paul