Re: [OM] Exclusively Oly

Subject: Re: [OM] Exclusively Oly
From: "John Petrush" <jpetrush@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 1998 22:32:18 -0400
John Austin <j_austin@xxxxxxxxxxx> wondered:

>I've been wondering how many list members besides myself use Olympus
>equipment exclusively? No other brand of 35mm, no medium format, no large
>format. Just trying to figure how many holdouts besides myself are on the
>list.  This is in no way a put down for other brands or formats. No flames
>required or desired.

Exclusively - no.  I have a Mamiya M645 I run 2-3 rolls of film through a
year , and an old Rollei that sees even fewer.  There are also a couple of
ancient Leicas .....  Having stated the exceptions, 99.50f everything else
I shoot is Oly only.  Certainly anything I take seriously is Oly, 1000f
the time.

But I have to admit, the lure of large format pulls strongly.  I used a 4x5
in school and there is nothing else like it.  A 24mm shift may be a marvel
of optical design and craftsmanship, but real swings, tilts and shifts, and
all that film area - it just can't be beat.  And I don't think it is
sacrilege to use an OM4T as a spot meter for a 4x5.