Re: [OM] Play in lensmount

Subject: Re: [OM] Play in lensmount
From: Richard Schätzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 1998 20:37:21 +0200
Frank van Lindert wrote:

> The buyer pointed me to the
> fact that the lens mount has some play. I quote:
>
> >What really bothers me is that the real part of the lens (essentially the
> >lens mount) is loose. It can be freely rotated by about 1 degree. This is
> >certainly not how it should be. I can't see any obvious reasons (all screws
> >look fastened). Also, it is probably not a transport damage, since the
> >package  arrived without any damage, and you really took care in packaging
> >it right.

There is always a very, very small amount of play in the locking
direction of the lens, less than 1 degree, due to the construction of
the locking mechanism.

> I checked my own 8mm lens as well (both are in like new condition) and
> it behaves a bit the same, although it is difficult to see if the play
> is 1 whole degree or slightly less.

I did a cross check on different lenses and bodys, regardless of which
lens (different age and state) there was no variance between lenses but
only a, very small, variance between different bodys (OM-1n, OM-2,
OM-4). The OM-4, OM-2 had the smallest amount of play.

> My question is, do you reckognize the phenomenenon, and if it should
> be considered normal or not, or more precise: what play is to be
> called 'within acceptable limits'.

If the lens locks properly in, there should be no problem.

> And if it is a fault indeed, my second question would be how this can
> be taken care of....

Check, if the latch has not been bent, which could happend and if
progressing, will allow to turn the lens to far, causeing damage.

Richard