Re: [OM] Play in lensmount

Subject: Re: [OM] Play in lensmount
From: Frank van Lindert <lindertv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 1998 08:01:19 GMT
Hallo Helmut

You will by now have read the different comments of the list members.
I think they tend to lead to the conclusion not to worry too much
about the play - unless in the very unlikely event that the little
blocking notch (tiny screw in the lens mount) has been bent (or,
worse, has disappeared completely). In that case a repair or
replacement of the screw is obviously necessary.
You checked the other screws, and they were tightened fast as I
understood. Considering the like new overall condition of the lens I
would suggest to let it be as it is.

I cannot judge how critical the positioning of the camera equipment
for your photographic work is, and consequently I do not know if the
qualification 'fussy' which one of the list memebers used is
appropriate <g>. I can only say that I am also looking for perfection
when buying optics equipment, albeit not obsessively.

IMO even for demanding photographic work the finder image is
determining pretty well what you will get in the picture. Perhaps a
0.5mm shift in a 12x magnification macro lens could be a nuisance, but
a 1 degree rotation (!) in a fishe-eye lens with a round (!) image
very unlikely will do your pictures any harm at all.

Of course the agreed MBG offer still stands, but I hope you will enjoy
the beautiful lens as it is.

Gruesse,

Frank.