Re: [OM] Vivitar Series 1 Solid Cat Lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Vivitar Series 1 Solid Cat Lens
From: "Ken Norton" <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 13:40:13 -0500
>Don't know if anyone is intrested, but there was some discussion a few days
>ago about the Vivitar Series 1 600mm f8.0 Solid Cat lens. There's one for
>sale on eBay, listed as Excelllent++ with case, caps, hood, and filters. I
>have no connection with this lens or the person selling it. Just trying to
>help. The URL is listed below.
>
>http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=15195874

Yup, this one is identical to one I had stolen two years ago.  Haven't done
a serial# match yet...  Anyway, for those contemplating such a lens, please
be aware that it is one stiff lens to focus.  Focusing literally involves
moving a lot of air in and out of the lens housing.  Mine was difficult to
track animals with.

I wasn't ever too pleased with this lens.  It never had enough contrast for
me and it couldn't focus very close.  Of all the pictures I took with it, I
only have a couple "keepers."

Is it heavy?  Yup.  Does it interfere with the winder?  Yup--Can't get your
fingers around the hand grip.  Can you use it on a Bogan quick-release (hex)
plate without the winder?  Not easily.    With the winder?  Not easily
either. Can you threaten pets and small children with it?

If you are looking for a 600mm lens that has relatively controlled
defraction, and can be quite sharp, this is an excellent lens, but be
prepared for lower contrast and suseptability to flare.  Also, shoot with
FAST film.  You have two choices with this lens: 1/1000 or 1/2 of a second.
Anything else will can give you visible vibration if you haven't wrenched
the tripod tight.  Actually, I found that I got less vibration if I tripod
mounted the camera instead of the lens.  But that is a really heavy lens to
have hanging by the lens mount.

I'll refrain from bidding on this one.

Ken N.