Re: [OM] Prices in Las Vegas

Subject: Re: [OM] Prices in Las Vegas
From: PCA Cala <PCACala@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 May 1998 13:07:04 EDT
Hi Greg:

> A special question for Gary R. (hopefully of interest to other readers):
>  I keep seeing you quoting what I consider incredible prices for used
> equipment
>  that you find. Gary, do you think that your location in Las Vegas has an
>  effect on what you can find? (Specifically, gamblers having to unload their
>  gear.) Or is it just diligence with a little luck thrown in, in a large
city?

I'd say that you should get in the habit of checking on a REGULAR basis one to
a few of the most promising sources.  As far as pawn shops are concerned,
regular visitation will help establish a repore with the sales staff and
you'll get to know the ins and outs of their business - like when pawn drops
(goes to retail).  Don't judge a pawn shop by what you see on the shelves.
That's the crumbs.  See, for awhile, what they drop on a daily basis.  You'll
soon know what are the best shops for photo gear.  What to offer is something
that is developed over time with a number of purchases and the policies of the
shop.

If there is a shop near your home, change your commuting route to get yourself
in the habit of stopping there.  There is no substitute for regular visits.
You also need to be more regular than the camera dealers who visit these
places.

Friday's bargains: a near mint 28 mm f/2.8 Canon FD for $19.95 and a near mint
135 mm f/3.5 Canon FD for $19.95.  I didn't even bargain on the price.  For
some reason the sales staff like me better when I don't negiotiate on each and
every sale.

Don't overlook buying non-OLY gear and selling it to others, then using the $$
for OLY stuff.  You might even find a camera shop that will allow consignment
sales for +/- a 15ommission.

BTW, don't ever wait just a day for something.  Get it when you see it AND
TEST IT, or you will be sorry when it is sold out from under you.

Off to the slot canyons.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV