[OM] Oly Gallery and The short trip

Subject: [OM] Oly Gallery and The short trip
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 08:19:23 -0600
Well, I'm back from the trip to the Okanagan Valley.  This means that I'll be
getting at cleaning up the Unofficial Olympus Web Photo Gallery this weekend.

Managed to get some fine shots while travelling through the interior of British
Columbia, not to mention some disappointing duds.  For those of you who
remember my lament many months ago about buying a used Zuiko 200mm F/4.0 lens
off of eBay that appeared to be flawed, I used this lens on the weekend for
several shots of elk that came out *beautifully*.  It would appear that even
flawed Zuikos are better than some other manufacturer's "perfect" glass!  I
hope to place a couple of the elk shots on the site.

On the other hand, a number of photos I took of Mount Robson (highest mountain
in the Canadian Rockies) were disappointingly washed-out, even with a
polarizing filter on the lens.  I'm finding Fuji's Reala print film to be more
complex to use than I thought, but it's still head-and-shoulders above Kodak
Gold (which I use in emergencies, i.e., when I can't find a place that sells
Fuji), although Royal Gold and Reala are hard to tell apart IMHO.  I also
managed to push Reala's abilities to render highlight/shadow definition beyond
its limits at Overlander Falls on the Fraser River south of Mount Robson, and
I'll try posting one of those shots as well.  Gotta get an extra OM-4Ti body to
hold chrome film, too!

And finally (no OM or photo content here), I also managed to purchase four and
one-half cases of wine (mostly '95 or '97 whites) from the various wineries in
the Okanagan Valley -- I should be 'bokeh' ("softly out of focus") for several
months from this last trip.  One of these days, I'll visit the wineries to take
some photos, but considering the amount of tasting we tend to do, I'll probably
be unable to hold the camera straight...

Garth

Unofficial Oly Gallery is at: "http://www.taiga.ca/~gallery/";