Re: [OM] In praise of the 85f/2

Subject: Re: [OM] In praise of the 85f/2
From: lclark@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 21:00:41 -0400
In <20735EF623E1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, on 05/20/98 at 02:26 PM,
   "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:

>1. The contrast is superb.
>2. The sharpness is superb also, but DOF is *very* shallow with close
>portraits  at f/2.8 or f/4. Careful focus and/or stopping down to 5.6
>or 8 is called for. 3. The bokeh is superb, and even at f5.6 or f8,
>still has a nice soft but  sparkling quality  to it... This surprised
>me - I always thought one had to  shoot at f/4 or wider to see this
>effect.

I believe that this quality of "good bokeh" is one shared by several of
the Zuiko lenses. I specifically mentioned it as a quality of the 200 mm
/f 5.0 some time ago in this list. I would also say that the 100 mm / f
2.8 shows it, too. I haven't looked specifically for this quality in
many of the other Zuikos here, but I'd bet it is more often present than
absent. Remember that the Zuiko line was produced by fanatics for
quality who were quite sensitive to bokeh long before we were sensitized
to this characteristic.

les clark