[OM] 40mm F2 lens

Subject: [OM] 40mm F2 lens
From: "Kenneth E. Rosen" <73312.537@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 23:41:36 -0400
Simon Debrux wrote:

>>I have been intrigued by the astronomical price of the 40mm F2.  Why is
it so
expensive? >>

It's relatively scarce. I remember reading that only about 3,000 were made,
however mine has a serial number of 1067xx, which suggests that over 6,000
were made (I believe Olympus starts their serial numbers at 100,000).

Although I prefer the 40mm focal length to either 50mm or 35mm, I find this
lens somewhat annoying to use because the aperture ring and filter ring are
the same unit. Screwing in or removing a filter forces the aperture ring to
one extreme or the other. It then exerts force on the ring which I assume
isn't good for it.

Ken Rosen
73312.537@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx