Re: [OM] Long Telephoto Vibration

Subject: Re: [OM] Long Telephoto Vibration
From: "Thomas H. Hogan" <flzhgn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 14:36:03 -0700
First of all think about what shutter speed you are using.
If the shutter speed is fast enough vibration might not be
a problem.

Maybe some sort of "shiv" could fit between the lens mount
and camera mount.

B&H sells special bracket increase stability of cameras mounted
to long telephotos.  Perhaps you could use the camera strap
to tighten the link between the camera and the lens by wrapping
it around the tripod mount.

Also lead shot bags (available in Hollywood) are a compact
way to increase mass and dampen vibration.

Hank

ONLYOLY BW wrote:

> Hi All,
> I have been researching ideas to reduce the vibration using big telephotos ie
> 500mm f 4.5.  I use a Gitzo tripod and head, but I want to take it one more
> step.  I have read about; adding weight, camera bags, sand bags etc on the
> tripod and lens.  I have also looked at the "Kirk" "Fourth Leg" which attaches
> to the body and one tripod leg.  My set up is a Sigma APO 500mm f 4.5, OM3,
> Motor Drive 1 w/ m 18 battery holder.  I use a electronic shutter release
> religiously.  My concern is the OM3 does not have a very tight fit to the
> lens.  Therefore, I think I am getting some vibration form this loose fit.
> Kirks Fourth leg is probably the best solution, but I feel it is to
> restrictive and slow.  I have been thinking about Doris Fangs idea of the
> string pod.  What do you all think of attaching a "Bungi Cord" to the body and
> tripod leg with enough tension to stabalize the set up.  Or am I in Na Na
> land?  All ideas would be appreciated.
> BW

Hank Hogan --

BTW,  I'm looking for a job as a biological science research
    technician.  If you know of anyone who might need a technician
    with my skills (see resume on my home page) please let me know.
--
Thomas ?Hank? Hogan
Biologist, Photographer, Web Designer