Re: [OM] Telephoto lens (500 mm. mirror)

Subject: Re: [OM] Telephoto lens (500 mm. mirror)
From: "Thomas H. Hogan" <flzhgn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 14:22:58 -0700
Hank writes:
 In defense of the much maligned 500 mm mirror (Cat)
lens, I won my first Nature Photography contest (1st place
in the color 35mm slide category with a 500 mm reflex lens.
I think the shot had "bokeh"
(I used a big Tiltall tripod and a cable release and an OM1n
with the mirror locked up, also)

I really like the 1:3 macro magnification that I get when I
focus on an insect ten feet away.  I like the fact that I don't
need to worry about the lack of an infrared focus mark because
catadioptric (mirror) lenses focus all wavelengths to the same
plane of focus. <http://www.netcom.com/~flzhn/ir.htm>

I don't like the out of focus doughnut highlights or
the lack of control over depth of field but I find them to be
very useful for 35mm field photography.

The T-ring mounting arrangement allows me to switch the lens
over to other camera makes so when I'm on trips, other
photographers can also use my super telephoto "Cat" lens.

Film keeps getting better and so do the shots with the "Cat" lens.

Thomas ?Hank? Hogan
Biologist, Photographer, Web Designer
mailto:flzhgn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.netcom.com/~flzhgn/indexc.htm

PS Sometimes I use the "Cat" lens with a doubler, too!