Re: [OM] Telephoto lens (500 mm. mirror)

Subject: Re: [OM] Telephoto lens (500 mm. mirror)
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 20:21:26 +0000
> From:          VELUWEH@xxxxxxxxxx
>
> All this means that in many cases you might consider taking a reflex
> lens along, where you would leave the heavy 300 mm or 400 at home
> because of its weight, so that's a choice of super telephotography at
> maybe reduced sharpness or no super telephotography at all, or
> experimenting with teleconverters that possibly degrade picture quality
> more than reflex lenses do.

The Oly 1.4X TC hardly degrades picture quality at all.  I have
two of the lenses it is a match for and using it seems to do little
more than extend the focal length and increase the f stop number.
You pretty much get a combination that is equivalent to a prime.

I have a Tamron 500mm f8 SP (reflex) and the Zuiko 300mm f4.5 + 1.4
TC combination.  I no longer use the former for photography (spotting
scope - yes).  I would always lug the Zuiko or do without.  The
Tamron yields flat looking results lacking sorely in contrast.
Sharpness is not a problem, contrast is.  Put any appreciable amount
of atmosphere between you and your subject and you might as well save
your film.  It could have its uses if all you require is a record as
opposed to a fine photo.

I would realy like to see or hear of results obtained using the Zuiko
500mm f8 as it would appear to have much better contrast than most
other CATs.

Well Lee how is it, or have you only aimed at pin pricks in the
sky?

Giles

PS other points are valid