Re: [OM] Long Telephoto Vibration

Subject: Re: [OM] Long Telephoto Vibration
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 16:47:47 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 16 May 1998, ONLYOLY BW wrote:

> Hi All,
> I have been researching ideas to reduce the vibration using big telephotos ie
> 500mm f 4.5.

   Contemplate TWO tripods. It sometimes is the best way. One on the lens,
one on the motor/winder. Another thing to entertain is that there are
speeds  that maximize shake for some reason with any particular rig. In my
experience, it's around 1/60th to 1/15th. Faster or slower than that works
pretty well.
   Some people have reported success with the Slik cradle or others like
them, but I've never used them. Part of the problem may be that with a
generic lens, the tripod collar is not placed so the rig balances well and
you are suffering from harmonics. If all fails, spend big bucks and
get a Kenyon Gyro and hand-hold the rig!!! (just kidding, but I once saw
available-light interior shots done at f/45 with a modified rollei TLR
and Tri-X that were handheld...makes the mind reel).

                              *= Doris Fang =*