Re: [OM] OM-4T Multi-Spot Metering

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-4T Multi-Spot Metering
From: "John A. Prosper" <prosper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 08:36:21 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 14 May 1998, gma wrote:

|ONLYOLY BW wrote:
|
|> In a message dated 98-05-14 11:19:14 EDT,
|>  George you write:
|> << Yes, John, that's a method I use a lot.  Spot the brightest and darkest
|> area
|>  and see how many EVs lie between.  Then figure out where to go from there.
|>  george >>
|>
|> Hi George,
|> I have taken John Shaws recommendation on useing the Spot meter.  Take a Spot
|> meter (or sometimes several) of a medium tone area (or what you think is
|> medium tone) of your picture in the same light and shoot.  This works very
|> well in nature / wildlife photos.
|> BW
|
|Yes, it would.  As long as you pick your medium tone carefully.  It's a valid
|method, but I get more information with the hi/low spot method.

Keep in mind that I was not necessarily talking about
actually committing the high/low readings to memory.  Once
you enter spot mode with one reading, you can simply point
the OM 3(Ti), OM 4(Ti) to any point in the scene and get a
realtime spot which remains uncommitted until one presses
the spot button.  In the case of slide film, this is
extremely helpful to establish zone system values for
critical points in the scene.  I usually only commit (i.e.,
press the spot button for) one spot reading for my images,
but tend to quickly check several scene points to establish
dark/light boundaries based on the known film latitude.