Re: [OM] OM-4T Multi-Spot Metering

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-4T Multi-Spot Metering
From: gma <gma@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 11:06:04 -0700
Dan Lau wrote:

> Thanks, George, for the explaination.  I don't own an OM-3/4 yet, but it
> is always in the back of my mind that someday when I can afford it, I'll
> get one.

I would.  It's a fantastic camera.

> Based on the above, it seems the following happens:
> - The camera is always in center-weighted mode until the spot button is
>   pushed.

Yes.

> - Pushing the spot button will put the camera into spot mode AND record
>   a reading in memory (shown with a fixed diamond).

Yes. Also, the bar graph becomes 'temporarily fixed' at this reading.

> - The camera continues to do spot reading with whatever is in the center
>   of the viewfinder, shown with a moving diamond.

Yes.

> - The (moving?) bar indicates the current suggested exposure.

Well, the bar graph does not move in real time, it only moves in
response to the next spot reading, whence it shows the new average of
all spots. This is not just the suggested exposure, it IS the exposure
which will be used if the shutter release is now pressed. (Ie: no OTF in
spot mode.)

> This brings up another question: after one reading is made, does the
> "continuous/instantaneous/real-time" reading enter into the exposure
> equation when the shutter is pressed?

No it does not.  Only those readings which have been saved determine the
exposure.

> In other words, after one reading,
> is the bar at the same spot as the fixed diamond and the bar does not
> move until another spot reading is recorded (i.e., the spot button is
> pressed again)?

Yes yes.

> The camera may be doing continuous spot readings in
> real-time, but if the reading does not enter into the exposure equation,
> then the continuous readings are useless (which is not good).

I disagree. It IS good.  It allows recomposition without using the
central spot area as part of the exposure calculation UNLESS you push
the spot button.  That's the whole point.

> On the
> other hand, if the continuous reading is part of the equation, then it
> is always averaging between the remembered spot readings and whatever
> is finally in the center of the frame when the shutter is pressed
> (which is not good either).

Right. See above.  IMO it works exactly as you would want.  You MUST
press the button to take a reading, camera does not think for you. YOU
bias the exposure however you want with up to 8 readings, then
recompose. If YOU want the final spot position reading after
recomposition to be part of the exposure, just press spot button one
more time.

> Second question, does adjusting the high-light/shadow or exposure
> compensation cause the bar to move or are there other indicators in
> the viewfinder that these actions were taken?

The bar moves.  All diamonds remain in place. Also, 'hilite' or 'shadow'
light up in the viewfinder.  (Editorial on a totally different point: I
just wish there was a 'Self-Timer' indicator in the viewfinder.)

george