Re: [OM] OM-2000

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-2000
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 May 1998 13:46:33 -0800
george (gma) wrote:

>I decided that I'd like to have an OM-2000 [...]

>Second place was different. He knew right away what the 2000 was. He said
>that he was resisting carrying it because: "cameras from that manufacturer
>have been very unreliable". "You mean Cosina?"
>"Right. Cosina. We've carried the Ricoh KR-5 which is essentially the same
>as the OM-2000 and the return rate with camera failure has been greater
>than 20%. I think you'd be better off with a used OM-1."

I too believe that the above comment re: Ricoh KR-5 Super II is bunk.
First, I'm not convinced that the KR-5 is all that close to OM-2000.
Ricoh is a low-cost manufacturer in its own right, and had always put
out a respectable product. The KR-5 Super II is more like Yashica FX-3,
whereas the OM-2000 and Nikon FM-10 are more like cheaper versions of
the venerable Nikon FM.

Furthermore, allthe above cameras are intended for novices/first-time
users, and I wouldn't be surprised if the above 20 0.000000igure reflected
failures of bodies that were simply mishandled by their inexperienced
owners. IMHO, in the hands of a trained photographer who is aware of
its limitations, an OM-2000 can be an effective and quite useful tool.

This is, of course, not to say that one can have too many OM-1's. :-)

>So now I'm wondering if the 2000 is the way to go. I'll probably wait
>now to see what happens at Photokina. Really hoping for a good OM-5Ti
>to make it's appearance.

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but IMHO, in light of the successful
launch of OM-2000, we should be prepared for introduction of a new body
that may resemble a Nikon FE-10 sprinkled with some OM-2000 features,
i.e. a plastic-bodied version of an OM-2S.

With a little luck, it may even have TTL flash automation, although the
recently discontinued T-32 is a bad sign. Motorized film transport? Maybe,
but I wouldn't hold my breath. :-(

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, CA