[OM] OM-2000

Subject: [OM] OM-2000
From: gma <gma@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 09:26:05 -0700

Yesterday I decided that I'd like to have an OM-2000 for two reasons: I'd like
a brand new O-body and I'd like real multi-exposure capability. Of course,
impulsively, I wanted it NOW. So I picked up the yellow pages and called two
local photo shops which had the word OLYMPUS in their ads. (I recently moved so
I am unfamiliar with the photo stores in this area).

The salesman at the first place said he thought he had a used one (already?)
and checked and then said it'd been sold.  That the previous owner had wanted a
fully manual camera and they'd moved him up to an SLR. HUH? I had to inform him
of what the OM-2000 was. He said he'd check the catalog!  One good thing:  he
says he's got a good supply of used Oly gear.  I'll check it out ASAP.

Second place was different.  He knew right away what the 2000 was.  He said
that he was resisting carrying it because: "cameras from that manufacturer have
been very unreliable". "You mean Cosina?"
"Right. Cosina. We've carried the Ricoh KR-5 which is essentially the same as
the OM-2000 and the return rate with camera failure has been greater than 20%.
I think you'd be better off with a used OM-1."

So now I'm wondering if the 2000 is the way to go.  I'll probably wait now to
see what happens at Photokina.  Really hoping for a good OM-5Ti to make it's
appearance.

george