[OM] The 100mm f2.8 that has been used to mix concrete!!!

Subject: [OM] The 100mm f2.8 that has been used to mix concrete!!!
From: "Stuart Goggin" <SGOGGIN@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 01 May 98 09:01:47 +1000
--- Begin Message ---
Subject: The 100mm f2.8 that has been used to mix concrete!!!
From: "Stuart Goggin" <SGOGGIN.AU.ORACLE.COM>
Date: 30 Apr 98 11:10:42
Cc: sgoggin.au
Hello All,

I recently obtained a rather shabby looking 100 f2.8 free with another
camera deal.   This lense looks absolutely stuffed,  ie there are many many
chips in the barrel,  the front element is scratched,  the rear element is
also scratched.   The diaphram also refused to close down.    So basically
nothing to lose,   so I pulled the back of the lense and found the aperature
stop down arm had somehow bent so that occasionally it would jump out of its
slot.  I also found the DOF preview ring would bind and cause the lense to
remain stopped down.   So I bent the arm back and graphited the aperature
ring...   Now it moves fine, still looks like crap but at least the
aperature works.

So I tested it the other day expecting it to be unable to resolve anything
because of the scrathes.   To my surprise it is extremely sharp,  in fact it
is better than th 75-150 f4 zuiko I have.   Unbeleivable.......   It is a
bit flary I think because it is single coated and has no hood.    But I just
got a rubber hood for it and this might help....

SO even a stuffed zuiko is pretty damned good.

Stuart

--- End Message ---