[OM] Weird Oly

Subject: [OM] Weird Oly
From: Denton Taylor <denton@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 19:51:49 -0400
Couple days ago I came across this ad for sale on Usenet. Since the asking
price was only a hundred bucks, I figured what the hell, and it's on its
way to me. But, does anyone have a clue what this is? Is it something
really interesting, or something else that will cause me to regret the
waste of $100?

This camera is an Olympus SC-P single lens reflect
camera. Don't feel sad if you never heard this model:
the camera back is a Polaroid 405 pack film holder. The
image area of this camera is not the whole film, it is
a round area of 58mm diameter. On front of the back is
a Copal press shutter #1. This shutter is a very good
shutter for large format cameras and may worth $300
new. On front of the shutter is the lens (yes,
the lens is not mounted on both side of the shutter
but on front of the shutter). Interestingly the lens
is a NEGATIVE lens and I do not know its power. On
front of the lens is the mirror. On front of the mirror
is a hood so that you can try to attached some kind of
positive lens element to get an image. The hood is
40mm in diameter and the entrance pupil has 14mm diameter.
Once I held a 50mm lens on front of this hood and got a
very clear close-up image, although I did not photograph
it. I believe if you can find a way to attach a positive
lens there you could get a nice close-up camera. Now I
still have more to describe. Above the mirror, is
a view finder; it goes up first and then turn 90 degrees
to the top of the back. There you get the eyepiece of
the viewfinder with a certain adjustment. The mirror
is usually in the down position so that you can see
image from the eyepiece of the viewfinder. When you
press the shutter, the mirror goes up and the shutter
opens. Then the shutter closes and the mirror returns.
It is exactly like a 35mm SLR, but the mirror does not
travel that fast. The whole camera is black, its size
is comparable to the 405 holder, and it is not heavy.
The body is in Mint condition, lens clear, and shutter
ais ccurate. So even if you do
not plan to use this camera or shutter in any way, it
will still be a very impressive item in your Olympus
collection---it is an SLR.

Regards,

Denton Taylor
Photogallery at www.dentontaylor.com