[OM] Weddings with OM's, was Ken's gloating

Subject: [OM] Weddings with OM's, was Ken's gloating
From: "Ken Norton" <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 09:28:00 -0500
>I take it all back.  If you use them to shoot weddings you deserve
>them back.

They actually work out great for weddings.  Why?  Small, quiet (even with
winder), flexible, OTF flash, OTF flash, and of course there is OTF flash.
I have an L-bracket made up that allows me to mount the flash to the side of
the camera so while taking verticals the flash is directly above the lens.
I'm now using the IS-3 for Horizontals along with the OM-2S.  Works out
great--two cameras, every important shot is on two rolls.

Right now, I am after a medium format camera for the formals.  I've owned a
Mamyia C220 with 3 different lens sets and a Mamyia 645 with 80mm lens.  The
latest renditions of the Pentax 645 are very nice except they don't take
interchangeable backs.  Suggestions anyone?  I've looked and looked, but
haven't found an OM-645.

BTW, the flash control of the IS-3/G40 flash is great.  The distance
information is passed on from the focus mechanism to the flash circuitry so
whatever you have focused on gets the proper amount of flash.  I feel it's a
wee bit too hot though, so I'm experimenting with some gauze over the flash
to take the edge off.

With today's films (except raunchy vericolor) you can use 35mm for both
wedding/portrait work.  But for the formals, I still prefer medium format.
The negative size works just a little better for blowups.  For most 8x10
prints the negs are scanned and printed on the kodak dyesub printer so we
can open eyes, remove exit signs, etc.

Oh, one last thought on wedding/portrait work.  Learn how to shoot with both
eyes open.  It looks wierd, but it's the only way to know if somebody
blinked/flinched during the exposure.

Are weddings profitable?  They sure can be once you get over the learning
curve (business side, not photographic).  Since I am shooting mostly 35mm
film, I take more pictures (250-350) which results in more reprints.  The
profit is in the reprints, not the basic wedding charge--which barely covers
your time and costs.  Just got in an order for almost 200 reprints and
enlargements from a single wedding.  With a 100% markup on my costs--well,
I'll let you figure that one out.  I just recently started wedding work
again and I've got them coming out of my ears.  Hey, I've even got a
Harley-Davidson wedding coming up.  (Two members of a gang--err club are
getting married and the entire club will be part of the wedding party--18
attendants!!!). Should be fun--can't wait to see how they decorate that
bike.

Hmm.  Hey Denton, can I borrow that 16mm fisheye?  <g>

Ken N.