Re: [OM] Weddings with OM's, was Ken's gloating

Subject: Re: [OM] Weddings with OM's, was Ken's gloating
From: "John Petrush" <jpetrush@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 22:45:40 -0400
Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>Right now, I am after a medium format camera for the formals.  I've owned a
>Mamyia C220 with 3 different lens sets and a Mamyia 645 with 80mm lens.
The
>latest renditions of the Pentax 645 are very nice except they don't take
>interchangeable backs.  Suggestions anyone?  I've looked and looked, but
>haven't found an OM-645.

Warning - OM content precious little.......

I have used a Mamyia M645 and a Bronica ETRS for wedding work.  The format
can't be beat - sorry 35mm.  The 645's big drawback was the lack of
interchangable backs - a problem they have since remedied with the 645 Pro
models.  The Bronica's *huge* advantage was leaf shutters, providing flash
sync at any speed.  What I did not like about the ETRS was its weight, its
sound (d**n loud!) and the expense of leaf shutter lenses.  With the newer
Mamyias, you have the choice of focal plane shutter speed (1/60) or a leaf
shutter lens.  This is a good way to go.

In 20/20 hindsight, were I to do it all over again, I'd shop the used market
for Hasselblad.  There are good buys available, and a 'Blad is an
outstanding piece of equipment.  The square negative gives you more "wiggle
room" at final print time and you never have to worry about rotating
everything 90 degrees to get the framing right.  And there is something
special about square proofs that appeal to customers.

OM content:  Regardless of the primary equipment employed for a shoot, the
trusty OM-2n with winder, power grip 2 and T-32 flash were always - and I
mean *always* - at the ready in the bag.  More often than not, it was used
at one time or another and the client never knew there was a difference in
film format.

All the best in your endeavors,

John P