Re: [OM] Which OM35-70?

Subject: Re: [OM] Which OM35-70?
From: "Branko GT" <gjuro@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 19:04:25 +1000
-----Original Message-----
From: Vrabec Marko <Marko.Vrabec@xxxxxxx>
To: 'olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx' <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Monday, 27 April 1998 21:11
Subject: [OM] Which OM35-70?

>Howdelidideli,
>
>Many greetings to you all from the cold Spitsbergen. The external
>battery pack for my two OM4T's which I made according to the
>instructions from this list, works just great.
>
>The only problem I have at the moment is that my Sigma 28-70 has
>literally fallen apart. In my defence for owing a S*gm* in the
first
>place I should remark that this particular lens was highly praised
in a
>ColorFoto test, "almost an Leica".
>
>Since Svalbard is a tax-free zone, this is perhaps the right time
>order a genuine (used) OM 35-70 from the States. Is anybody willing
>suggest me, which model I should shop for?
>I would think  35-70/3.6 is good, but...?
>

>Best regards,
>
>Marko Vrabec

Actually the most useable one is 35-105 3.5-4.5. I must admit that
I've never used the 35-70F3.6 but I have used the other two. There
is nothing in 35-70F4 that attracts me in particular. It is a not a
bad lens but  fades away compared to 35-105. The 35-70 3.5-4.5 is
cute and small. Not much bigger then normal lens but the performance
is not stellar. It is not bad but if you want the best, it isn't.
There are few nuisance points with 35-105. Rotating front element
makes for a tedious lens to use with the polariser or rectangular
lens hood. The variable aperture is a nuisance for shooting slides
in manual mode (it does not really matter a lot with negatives or
auto mode). It is significantly larger then any 35-70 (Zuiko)
although the 3.6 is getting close.
The performance of the lens is outstanding. As resolving as zoom
gets. Nice contrast and nice bokeh.
The down side is some flare in contra  jour, not a lot but more than
best Zuiko prime lenses.
The zoom range is just right. I always found 35-70 too short.
I know that this is not really what you've asked but I thought that
you may find it helpful.

If I had to choose one lens that would be it. Put it on OM3 and you
are in OM heaven!

cheers
bgt
-- Sig --- ( I'm the most modest <modestestest> man in the world ! )