Re: [OM] close-focusing performance: 28/2.0 or 28/2.8?

Subject: Re: [OM] close-focusing performance: 28/2.0 or 28/2.8?
From: WKato <WKato@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 1998 19:15:09 EDT

<< Teemu writes:

 > I read somewhere that wide angle lenses with a floating element system
 >  perform nicely when focused close, whereas lenses that do not
 >  incorporate this system produce poor results.
 >   >>
  I am continually astounded with the close up edge performance of my Zuiko
21/3.5.  When I set it at f 16, everything is in focus from 1.5 feet to
infinity.  The objects at 1.5 feet are very contrasty (even though sharpness
is off some).  Many Olympus wide angles were optimized for edge performance.
Each lens is different, however. I have the 28/2.8 but not the 2.0 so can't
compare it for you. I would just go out and try it using the 28/2.8 first
(cost considerations).
  Also, I think Tiffen, Hoya and B&W all make split diopter close up filters
where the lower half has a close up lens and the top half is normal. I have
also taped an Olympus eyepiece diopter lens to a UV filter with acceptable
results.

Warren Kato
wkato@xxxxxxx