Re: [OM] Film types

Subject: Re: [OM] Film types
From: Bpsterra <Bpsterra@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 1998 18:25:24 EDT
>I am curious about these films.  Would you recommend them
>for photography on the ocean?

>I think Lumiere X (warm tone) has been discontinued some
>underwater photographers that I know really miss it.

Hank,

We have too little experience with the new E200 pro film (and none at all with
the new Elite II 200 that is supposed to be making an appearance) to make any
sort of recommendations to stock photographers just yet.  As you may know from
past correspondence, all things having to do with resolution--fine grain,
sharpness, etc.--are of keen concern to us for the (small) 35 mm format, so we
don't just pop off based on reviews by uncritical photographers who are being
paid and get a free brick in magazines that get some of their advertising from
companies putting out the film they review.  Because I'm so cranky about the
faults of Kodachrome 200 (no, I don't care if National Geographic uses it),
our few wildlife photographers who need speed have been talked into pushing
Ektachrome 100 films for superior results.  Because of all the improvements in
the 100 films in recent years, the new and supposedly very pushable 200 films
deserve a thorough appraisal.  Personally, I'll be particularly hard-nosed in
looking at the grain, but with my fingers crossed that it will show
improvements comparable to the strides made with the 100's.

I believe the E100SW has replaced Lumiere 100X for most people who used the
latter on land and sea.  Both are acceptable to us for overcast and shadow
situations, but even though I'll usually take them, I find their excessive
warmth a bit hokey for sunlit objects.  E100S is a much more honest film in
the sun, with good blues and whites.  Haven't made up my mind about
underwater--the warmer films offset some of the blue dominance in shallow
water without flash, but with flash and especially for closeups I think the
E100S looks good.

Carl May
Biological Photo Service