Re: [OM] OLY ES 10 Scanner

Subject: Re: [OM] OLY ES 10 Scanner
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 17:38:24 -0700
>In article , ONLYOLY BW <ONLYOLYBW@xxxxxxx> writes
>>Hi Frank,
>>I don't know about the new OLY scanner, but I got a Nikon internal
>>Coolscan II
>>Xmas before last.  At that time  I was told the two best were the
>>Polaroid and
>>the Nikon and the number one feature to look for was the amount of TIME it
>>takes to scan the slide.
>>BW
>>
>I also recently purchased a Nikon Coolscan II.  Quite impressed with the
>scan quality
*snip*

>If it supports a rotatable preview I would trade my Nikon for it any day
>- even if quality was sacrificed slightly, since the Nikon already
>exceeds the resolution of 100ASA 35mm film.  Somehow I doubt that I
>would need to worry about that last point though.
>--
>Kennedy
>Yes, Socrates himself is particularly missed;
>A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed.
>Python Philosophers         (replace 'nospam' with 'kennedym' when replying)

I thought the resolution of medium speed film was about 100 lines/mm. The
CDW catalog I got today lists the resolution of the Coolscan II as 2700
dpi. Since it takes two dots(one off and one on) to make a line its
resolution would be roughly 50 lines/mm, if I am not mistaken. It might be
close to the resolution of an inexpensive paper print.

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California
mailto:wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx