Re: [OM] OLY ES 10 Scanner

Subject: Re: [OM] OLY ES 10 Scanner
From: PCA Cala <PCACala@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 21:16:40 EDT
Hi Giles

> I have a question about scanning negatives.  I have allways presumed
>  you can scan a negative and convert the negative image into a
>  positive via software?  If this is so, I would presume the quality of
>  the scan would be better than a scan of a print made from the
>  negative - is this the case?  Would you also get an increase in range
>  of contrast compared with a print?

I use the Hewlett Packard PhotoSmart Film scanner (now $399US).  It will
convert a negative scan (up to 2400 dpi, 30-bit) to a positive image on screen
automatically.  It also scans prints up to 5x7" (at 300 dpi).  And does slides
(up to 2400 dpi).

Anytime you are woking with second generation photographic media (e.g. prints
from negatives) you have to cope with a contrast increase.  In enlargements
(vs. contact prints) you also get decreases in detail.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV