Re: [OM] OLY ES 10 Scanner

Subject: Re: [OM] OLY ES 10 Scanner
From: Richard Schätzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 1998 21:35:22 +0200
Kennedy wrote:

> It certainly appears to be a lot better, and the contrast range is much
> greater than the 24bit range of the scanner, since it has 'shadow' and
> 'highlight' spot metering functions just like the OM-4 to get the best
> settings for the A to D converters.

They are able to adjust lamp (LED) intensity. But the Coolscans are
still 3.0 D scaners, 24 or 36bit makes no difference.
For realy critical slides or negativs there latitude is not big enough,
resulting in distorted shadows (slide) or highlights (negatives)
I tested on the CeBIT several scaner (Min****, Nik**, Must**, Ko***,
Olympus and Polaroid) only the Polaroid was able to render sharp and
undistorted shadows out of my test slide. It is an expensiv scaner, but
not much more than the Coolscan 1000, which failed to show an
informations into the shadows (to dark).

Richard