Re: [OM] Price Increase/Thanks Paul

Subject: Re: [OM] Price Increase/Thanks Paul
From: Frank van Lindert <lindertv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 20:01:57 GMT
On Fri, 10 Apr 1998 10:18:57 -0400, Denton Taylor <denton@xxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>I thought you were a businessman, Denton.
>
>Why help Olympus to get rid of that high pile of 20mm macro lenses
>they are stuck with? I think that is precisely why the price increase
>was announced, and it might also explain the differences between the
>increase percentages
>

>I am a businessman, and I disagree. If one has an overstock, one reduces
>prices. One doesn't increase them.

I was only joking, Denton...

Seen from a European point of view it is a bit comical to see people
worrying about this price raise, which not even brings the US prices
on the same level we have learned to live with for years now... Of
course I must be careful - maybe we will face another increase here as
well...

What I really think - the pricing policy of Olympus lacks every sense
of logic. Economically unexplainable differences between Hong
Kong/Japan/US/Continental Europe/UK prices (in rising order, highest
price double and sometimes triple of the lowest), causing a grey
market (with HK to Rotterdam connections going thru Tel Aviv) where
you sometimes can buy a new 250/2 for $4000 and new 500 frame backs
for $120... it all doesn't make sense.

To give an example: I want to buy a Camedia 1400L (in US called 600L).
I can buy one in HongKong for US$750 (grey). In the US it costs $1150.
In the UK..... $1600. Is there reason somewhere?...

Sorry that I wasn't more obvious when making my little joke.

Frank.