Re: [OM] very technical question: lens mount, f/stop meanings

Subject: Re: [OM] very technical question: lens mount, f/stop meanings
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 16:46:00 -0500
At 10:51 AM 4/10/1998 EDT, you wrote:
**snip**

>in any given metering situation where all else is equal, the
>aperture you have to set for correct indicated
>exposure is 1 stop wider with the zoom [at 70 mm, where i would
>expect it to be the same] or 3 stops wider at 210 mm than with a 50mm lens.

Larry,

I'm not a physicist but a zoom has a lot of glass.  I think you have to
assume some falloff, with a corresponding need for a wider aperture as a
result.  Put some slide film in and shoot a roll with the sun over your
shoulder and I'll bet your exposures will be right on.  Zooms are slow,
slow, slow.

Regards,

Joel