Re: [OM] Extension Tube Question

Subject: Re: [OM] Extension Tube Question
From: "R. Lee Hawkins" <lhawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 12:42:20 -0400
Cc: lhawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
In your message dated: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 09:33:58 PDT you write:
>Thanks to all who responded to my 2N/4T debate.  I can't believe I'm
>thinking of buying another body!  But I have yet another question which
>I couldn't seem to find the answer to in either Shipman or the Olympus
>Lens Book.  A few years ago, I bought a set of Olympus extension tubes.
>The box says "extension tubes."  But now, when I was thinking of getting
>another 25 tube, I notice there are "auto tubes."  Can anyone explain
>the difference.  I actually have the 25 auto tube now via the equipment
>brought into Glazers.  It is heavier that my other tube and has
>something like a diaphragm (?).  Anybody know the difference and what it
>does?  Thanks much.  Good to be active with you folks again!--Deborah

Deb:
The auto tube has a lever that transfers the setting of the lens
aperture ring to the camera, and another lever that transfers the
stopdown lever from the camera back to the lens.  This allows you to
meter wide open, and makes focusing easier, since you get more light.
The older non-auto tubes just had a lever that caused the lens to stop
down when you turned the aperture ring, so you had to meter with the
lens stopped down to the aperture you were going to shoot at.  The auto
tubes save a step, allowing you to focus and meter wide open, then have
the camera stop down for you when the exposure is taken.

Cheers,
--Lee