Re: [OM] Re: Filter Brands

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Filter Brands
From: Lars Bergquist <timberwolf@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 18:56:33 +0000
Wrote John Austin:

>It's time to buy a couple of new circular polarizers. I'm leaning toward
>either Tiffen or Hoya. Does anyone have a preference between these two
>brands and why? And if you prefer Hoya, do you think it's really worth twice
>the price to get the MC version, what with some of my present and most
>likely future Oly lenses being SC and all. I know that B&W or Heliopan are
>probably better, but they are out of my price range.

I would say that Hoya are very good (I understand that they made the Oly
filters). And each MC-treated glass surface does improve image quality, quite
independently of the others! I would not even hesitate to put a MC filter in
front of my pre-war uncoated Retina Ektars and Xenars, if I could obtain
them with the right mounting!

I do however think that the case for using circular polarizers on cameras
measuring light through the mirrors has been somewhat overstated. The
errors are not that large, especially if you are shooting neg film.

Vänliga hälsningar/Best regards
Lars Bergquist
Välkommen till/Welcome to ...
<http://www.bahnhof.se/~timberwolf/>