Re: [OM] Re: Filter Brands

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Filter Brands
From: Frank van Lindert <lindertv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 08:12:46 GMT
On Sun, 29 Mar 1998 22:28:11 -0800, "John Austin"
<johnaustin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>It's time to buy a couple of new circular polarizers. I'm leaning toward
>either Tiffen or Hoya. Does anyone have a preference between these two
>brands and why? And if you prefer Hoya, do you think it's really worth twice
>the price to get the MC version, what with some of my present and most
>likely future Oly lenses being SC and all. I know that B&W or Heliopan are
>probably better, but they are out of my price range.
>

>Regards,
>John Austin

Hello John.

Hoya and B&W are both fine. I prefer them over Tiffen. Heliopan I
don't know...
If I am not mistaken, Olympus brand filters were made by Hoya as
well.... let someone correct me if I am wrong here (or confirm if I am
right).

About MC: you could solve the problem by just being practical. If B&W
is too expensive, Hoya MC probably will be too...
I have never thought about the improvement that MC layers copuld give
on a polarizing filter (with 4 reflection surfaces, of which 3 to be
considered internal when mounted on the lens). I will ask an authority
on this field, Willem-Jan Markerink, and come back to it later.

Frank van Lindert
Utrecht - NL