[OM] OM4 mechanical shutter 'bug'?

Subject: [OM] OM4 mechanical shutter 'bug'?
From: VELUWEH@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 11:38:46 -0500
A while ago I discovered some strange behaviour in my OM4 (w/o Ti)
related to its mechanical 1/60 shutter setting.
I was taking pictures on some party and the batteries went dead. I
didn't bring spares with me (that won't happen to me again!) and
couldn't get new ones. No problem, I thought, because it was night, was
gonna use a flash anyway, so this is where the mechanical shutter is
for. But because it had a heavy zoom mounted (a Kiron 28-200) I had the
Winder 2 attached for better balance, using its grip for vertical shots
and also used the motorized transport.
When I had the roll developed, none of the pictures taken after the
battery failure were exposed - except for a few ones I took w/o the
Winder! When I examined the camera, it appeared that the Winder,
operated w/o batteries in the camera, does flip the mirror and moves
the shutter curtain(s), making you think it took a picture, but never
opens the curtains (at least I could not see any light come through,
holding it against the light). Operated without Winder, everything goes
ok.
Is this some special curse on this particular camera, or can anybody
else reproduce it - is it even maybe a known 'bug'? And if so, does the
4Ti or 2(n,S) also suffer from it?

Hans