Re: [OM] Radio flash triggers.

Subject: Re: [OM] Radio flash triggers.
From: "R. Lee Hawkins" <lhawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 13:53:34 -0500
Cc: lhawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
In your message dated: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 09:13:13 GMT you write:
>On Thu, 26 Mar 1998 00:27:43 EST, WKato <WKato@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>B&H sells "Pocket Wizard" radio controlled slaves costing $199 each for
>>transmitter and receiver (ouch) but allows up to 16 channels, Wein radio
>>slaves for $20 to $300, and Quantum radio slave for $274.00.  I wonder if you
>>could adapt model airplane controllers.  I think many of the airplane's
>>controls are just on and off, which you could use to power a small relay or
>>sync the flash directly.

I am now thinking of using the Wein 3000' range slave, with a T-20 on
the remote camera to trigger it, and peanut slaves to trigger the other
three in-dome flashes.

and Frank wrote:

>I have quite some experience building radio devices. Not only for
>flash slaves, but for activating the whole camera-on-motor-drive set.
>
>For this purpose even the cheapest ($15-20, for one-channel remotes)
>RC toy car units are fine.
>
>The transmitter doesn't need any modification. The receiver will have
>to be built into another housing, and a relay will have to replace the
>car's electrical engine but then you are all set. Range is rather
>small, typically about 50-80 ft. One other drawback: Many of these
>devices work on the same frequency (depends on the country you live
>in). So the use is limited to areas without children playing their RC
>cars...

I need at least 1000'.

>One of my dream-and-wish projects is to photograph from under a
>balloon (or kite). I have access to weather balloons big enough to
>lift an OM-4T-with-winder, and I also bought and modified a cheap
>1-mile range RC-set for planes. I hope to have it happen this
>summer...

Now that would be neat.  Please keep us posted on this project!

Cheers,
--Lee