Re: [OM] Radio flash triggers.

Subject: Re: [OM] Radio flash triggers.
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 18:12:29 -0800
>Hi all:
>Recently I've been taking pics of our observatory from the roof of the
>adjacent science center, in order to get some "bird'-eye-view" shots.
>I'm doing this with the domes open and the telescopes pointed toward my
>camera, and with the 1000mm (500/8 + 2x-A) and 500mm shots I'm spot
>metering in and outside the dome (inside the domes is dark, the outside
>is bright white).
>
>Now, it'd be nice to have some radio-controlled flashes that would go
>off when I fired my camera from the roof.  I've calculated the one-way
>light travel time, and it is ~100x shorter than a 1/1000 sec flash
>duration.  These wouldn't need to be TTL flash, since all they would be
>doing is lighting up the interior of the dome while the shutter is open.
>I could play around with apertures to get the exposure right.
>
>So... does this sound totally silly?  Anyone done anything like it
>before?  Anyone know how cheap radio controlled flash triggers are?
>(I've got a slew of T-20's and a T-32 I can use for this project).
>

>Thanks in advance!
>
>Cheers,
>--Lee

Speaking from the vantage point of someone who has never done something
like this and looking for simplicity and predictability, I think I would
opt for some floods for the interior.  It seems like you would have a lot
more light and have time to play with it, i.e., to balance the interior and
exterior lighting levels as well as temperatures. Probably you could rent
them.

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California
mailto:wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx