Re: [OM] Radio flash triggers.

Subject: Re: [OM] Radio flash triggers.
From: "Thomas H. Hogan" <flzhgn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 18:12:59 -0800
Hi R. Lee Hawkins:

 If you had some walkie-talkies or some cb radios you might try to
  use an SCR (silicon controlled rectifier) of the type available
  at Radio Shack (#276-1067) or GE-C123B1 for about two dollars.

  There is a book by Dan Lewis (1990)Library of Congress Catalog
  Number 90-70088 that describes using this with
  a motor winder for remote controlled release of the shutter.  I used
  this once with a tape recorder and microphone to have sound triggered
  exposures.

  I think this would work as a flash trigger using a "PC" connector
  from the OM's flash sync PC socket, but you would need one on the
  camera and one on the flash and some slave units to trigger other
  flash units.

   If there were a telephone in the observatory dome perhaps you could
  connect the telephone through the SCR to a flash units and put a
  cell phone with an SCR on the camera side.

Anyway, I think it is a great idea and it would be really fun to
take some photos this way.

R. Lee Hawkins wrote:

> Hi all:
> Recently I've been taking pics of our observatory from the roof of the
> adjacent science center, in order to get some "bird'-eye-view" shots.
> I'm doing this with the domes open and the telescopes pointed toward my
> camera, and with the 1000mm (500/8 + 2x-A) and 500mm shots I'm spot
> metering in and outside the dome (inside the domes is dark, the outside
> is bright white).
>
> Now, it'd be nice to have some radio-controlled flashes that would go
> off when I fired my camera from the roof.  I've calculated the one-way
> light travel time, and it is ~100x shorter than a 1/1000 sec flash
> duration.  These wouldn't need to be TTL flash, since all they would be
> doing is lighting up the interior of the dome while the shutter is open.
> I could play around with apertures to get the exposure right.
>
> So... does this sound totally silly?  Anyone done anything like it
> before?  Anyone know how cheap radio controlled flash triggers are?
> (I've got a slew of T-20's and a T-32 I can use for this project).
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Cheers,
> --Lee

Hank Hogan --

BTW,  I'm looking for a job as a biological science research
    technician.  If you know of anyone who might need a technician
    with my skills (see resume on my home page) please let me know.
--
Thomas ?Hank? Hogan
Biologist, Photographer, Web Designer