Re: [OM] Re: eBay auctions

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: eBay auctions
From: Clive Warren <Clive.Warren@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 16:41:48 +0100
At 12:51 am -0800 23/2/98, Gary Schloss wrote:

>John Austin wrote:
>
>>From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>[snip]
>>>My negative opinion on eBay auctions is well known.
>>

>>Hi Gary,
>>
>>You've obviously stated this before, but for us newbies, what is your
>>negative opinion of eBay auctions and why? Thanks.
>
>What?! Everyone will be bored to death if I keep repeating myself,
>especially moi! Why do you think I gave up on my lucrative (yeah,
>right...) teaching career? ;-)
Snippety snippletson
>I have yet to try selling anything myself on eBay, so fellow Zuiks
>who are no longer "eBay virgins" are hereby encouraged to share their
>carnal knowledge with the rest of us. Soooo, any "eBay tarts" out
>there? :-)

Well the "tart" description may not be appropriate, however I do use EBay
and have had some reasonable deals.  Also have had some bad experiences,
but these were few.  Currently in dispute with a chap who sent me kit in
much worse condition than described.  If anyone wants to know details then
EMail me privately.

When pushed, most of the people who tried to rip me off have given partial
refunds.  In one case a complete refund and gave me the kit :-)

So to conclude, caveat emptor.  EBay is now so popular, and prices
artificially high, that it is cheaper to buy locally.  If you are going to
pay a dealer price then go to a dealer where you at least get a guarantee
in most cases.  In most cases it's probably cheaper to buy from a dealer.

Great for selling, now not so good for buying.

All the best,

              Clive   http://clive.bel-epa.com