FW: [OM] OM2/OM4 question: fill flash

Subject: FW: [OM] OM2/OM4 question: fill flash
From: Robert Ashdown <RobertA@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 09:39:44 +1000
>John wrote:
>
>Hi Pete,
>
>Using the Olympus T20 or T32 flash with the OM-2 or OM-4 you can only do
>fill-flash using manual exposure with manual flash. This would work the same
>way that your present Nikon setup works. You would have to set the exposure
>manually and then use the exposure compensation dial to adjust the fill
>ratio for the full output of the flash. Not that hard to do, but automatic
>it's not. You could actually do the same thing with your OM-1 and any flash
>unit, Olympus or otherwise. The Olympus flash system works great for non
>fill-flash when used with an OM-2 or OM-4 and an Olympus flash. Olympus was
>one of the pioneers of TTL (through-the-lens) flash. Unfortunately, they've
>rested on their laurels for the past ten years as far as new SLR technology
>is concerned. The members of this group are Olympus lovers. But we love
>Olympus for things other than the latest bells and whistles. As you pointed
>out, compactness, and build quality and feel are three of the biggies.
>
>Regards
>John Austin

There was a long discussion on this recently on the list. I had believed
that using the exposure comp dial to adjust fill would work, but it was
pointed out to me, I now believe correctly, that this will not work if
you require your ambient exposure to remain constant. The EV will be
affected if you do this even though you will get more or less flash.