Re: [OM] OM Preference-Vote (Was Wish List -Summary & Petition)

Subject: Re: [OM] OM Preference-Vote (Was Wish List -Summary & Petition)
From: sdg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Stephen D. Goss)
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 22:31:25 -0600 (CST)
> From: Tomoko Yamamoto <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [OM] OM Preference-Vote (Was Wish List -Summary & Petition)

> Fellow Olympians!

> I have received only 20 responses voting on my questions so far, but I
> understand that there are more than 100 members on this list.  In order for
> our petition to be effective, the majority should send in their personal
> preferences.  I know the last question might be hardest to answer, but
> please name only one feature.  As far as that question is concerned,
> everyone is limited to one vote.  One individual can buy more than one
> camera, which is fine.

> The questions are:

> 1. Which one of the new OM bodies (OM reissues with possibly a few new
> features, one under $500, one ca. $700, and an OM-5 under $1500) would you
> buy in the next 2-5 years? Just one or two or all three? (You have to ask
> your own pocketbook and your buying habit.)

None.  Unless both my OM1n and OM2n bite the dust.  Then the least expensive
one.

> 2.Would you like to have an autofocusing OM-x? (Be honest.  You don't need
> to be realistic here.)

Might be nice, but not necessary.  I would not want extra weight or cost.

> 3. Would you be willing to have a somewhat larger OM body so that several
> new features may be accommodated?

Not much larger, if at all.

> 4. What is the single most important feature of the OM body that you would
> like to see retained? Please narrow your preferences down to the single
> feature.  I will not count those votes with two items here.

Ability to use all those wonderful accessories in the OM line. (the 250 ex-
posure & recordata backs, motor drives & winders, lenses, view screens, etc.)

ps. It's a little late, but...
Wish list:
The digital guts of the new D series digital cameras built into a back for
the OM line.

Dream OM:  If you're gonna dream, might as well dream big.  I wouldn't be
able to afford any of this:
Instead of a pentaprism or bunch of mirrors, a ccd cell hooked up to a 2 or
three inch color lcd. This would probably work best as a removable view-
finder that could be swapped out for a standard one.

Instead of horizontal or vertical shutters, a solid state panel that turns
on (or is it off) to let the light through.  Shutter speeds in the kilo-
hertz range.  Possibly address the shutter in multiple segments and let more
light on the film in different areas.  How would you transmit light through
such a shutter and have it still coherent?  I don't know, but if anyone
can do it, I would think it would be Olympus.

Three or four contacts on the flange of the lens.  One would be a resistance
based on the maximum open aperature, one for the minimum.  This way old lenses
with no contacts would measure about 0 ohms and could be dealt with or
ignored.  The lenses would also be backwards compatible this way.

A small mechanical motor coupling on the lense flange.  This could also be
backwards and forwards compatible.  (If there are no apeture contacts, then
the camera would know not to bother focusing, and if the coupling did not
extend below the lens flange, an early OM would neither know or care.

Could it /would it be built?  I don't know, but if it was it would sure
get attention.

--
Steve Goss, Dallas Texas, usa
sdg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx