[OM] IMG: Art in London

Subject: [OM] IMG: Art in London
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 May 2024 19:08:51 +0200
I was in London in late April, my first visit to the city in 8 years. I was
there to participate in a workshop at London Metropolitan University, but as
always, I made time to enjoy the great city and to see some art. I visited two
of my favourite places, Tate Modern and the National Portrait Gallery. Both
were great, but especially the exhibition at the NPG was incredible. It was
called “The Time is Always Now: Artists Reframe the Black Figure”. As the title
suggests, it consisted of works by Black artists, mainly UK and US-based, but
also many with African and Caribbean backgrounds. Some of the works were truly
incredible and eye-opening, for example the charcoal drawings by Barbara
Walker, reproducing famous paintings in which Black characters had a secondary
role, but now inverting the roles by emphasising them. A gallery of 52 images
is here:

https://www.greatpix.eu/Art-in-London-2024

The first part of the gallery is from Tate Modern, the second part from the NPG.

Nathan

Nathan Wajsman
photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://www.fotocycle.dk/paws