Re: [OM] "New" Oly EM-1 Mark II

Subject: Re: [OM] "New" Oly EM-1 Mark II
From: <dj_taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2024 18:47:58 +1300
Enjoy the E-M1 Mkii.  When I got my OM-1 I still kept my silver E-M1 Mkii.

I have always found the Mastering books by Darrell Young better than the
supplied manual. I go to Rocky Nook and get a physical and electronic bundle.

Make sure you update the software. The E-M1 series had more updates than the
E-M5 and the E-M1 Mkii is at 3.7.  The 2.0 and 3.0 added significant
functionality. And while doing that save the setting to your computer; has been
useful to me a few times.

David

>Peter writes
>I've been looking to upgrade my 11 year-old Olympus EM-5 (the original).
It's served me well, albeit with some shutter shock and delay issues that have
frustrated me. My mindset breakthrough came when I realized that the EM-1
series is actually almost the same weight as my EM-5 with an external grip
added. I needed that grip, because the EM-5 is otherwise too small for my big
hands. The EM-1's built-in grip is just big enough as-is.

>Nearby Kenmore Camera had several EM-1 Mark II bodies for $499. After trying
>them in the store, I came home with one. It appears well taken care of. 31,500
>shutter actuations, which leaves plenty left on the rated 200,000.  (My EM-5
>has accumulated 13,000 clicks in 11 years).

>So far, I've found  nothing wrong, and I'm happy.  This is a case of staying a
>little behind the curve and saving quite a bit of cash. The newer EM-1/OM-1
>versions are 4x more expensive, and to my mind, the improvements are
>incremental, not game-changing for how I photograph.
RAW image quality has not changed much. And when I want full-frame, I still
have my Brand L German rangefinder.

>The one drawback is the mind-boggling complexity of the EM-1 setup.
Everything is customizable to a bewildering degree. (I remember initially going
through the same thing with my EM-5, until I achieved a state of "set it and
forget it." The EM-1 II is like that, only more so.
It's like "Fizbin," the card game in the Chicago gangsters episode of the
original "Star Trek." Function X does Y, except on Tuesday. But when you also
enable Function A, Function X does B, except at night.
Fortunately, the EM-1 II has dedicated buttons for almost everything I normally
do, so there's less menu diving than on the EM-5.

>My general rule is to leave the factory defaults alone, unless I really need
>to change them for how I photograph. So I've left all the buttons at their
>default, except for the orange video record button. Since I don't do video,
>I've changed that to turn on focus magnification, for when I use my manual
>focus Oly and Leica tele lenses.

>One huge help has been this link:
<http://wrotniak.net/photo/m43/em1.2-sett.html>
It explains things better than the manual. And when his writing gets sarcastic,
you know that the option being discussed is not all that important for most
people.

--Peter