Re: [OM] Help with Spyder X calibration

Subject: Re: [OM] Help with Spyder X calibration
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 10:44:36 -0700
At 1/26/2024 09:47 AM, Mike wrote:
>Perhaps someone can help on this. I have two 24 inch LCD screens mounted side
>by side. I am calibrating them using a Datacolor Spyder X Pro. I obviously
>want to have the two screens match as closely as possible.
>
>When I perform the calibration, the Spyder software insists on different
>brightness settings for the two screens ­ it wants one to be 20 cd/m2 brighter
>than the other. I can?t find where or how to override this and have both at
>the same setting. Any ideas? At the moment there is a clear difference when
>the same image is shown on both screens.
>
>Mike

I no longer have the spyder software. Currently I use colorchecker plus from
Calibrite.

This software wanted me to change the brightness quite a bit. That was because
it was targeting 120 cdm2. However I left the monitors brightness at 75%. The
120 target required brightness setting to be around 19%, which felt wrong. So I
left the cdm2 value at the measured 220 (the 75% default monitor brightness
setting) and went ahead with the calibration.

Perhaps just ignore the brightness adjustment setting recommended, adjust the
monitors to what seems the same brightness to you, at a level you like working
at. Then continue the calibration. It should come up with the correct profile.

I have read that using a low brightness setting can also decrease the colors it
can display. IE. In this note: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4467911
someone also says "The brightness of your monitor should be irrelevant when
editing for electronic distribution in sRGB format."

If you are going for print, then a lower cdm2 might be preferred. But for
online display, set the monitor brightness to what you like to work with, then
continue the calibration.

I have Dell monitors which also have various settings. I use Standard. I have
tried Paper and there is also a Color Temp, Movie, multimedia, Game, sRGB,
Custom Color. What monitor are you trying to calibrate?

WayneS