[OM] Bokehlicious [was New entry in Bubble Stakes]

Subject: [OM] Bokehlicious [was New entry in Bubble Stakes]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2023 21:58:01 -0700
On 4/2/2023 8:11 AM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:

. . . . .

I also use Toby and Dhina A, and others on flickr, to find lenses of interest.
I probably should be spending more time taking photos than looking for glass.

Not a bad idea. I admit it's fun to research and track down gear - and not so easy to learn the nitty gritty of how each works.

These lenses were not designed to be bubbly; it's a result of compromises in optical design that emphasized other qualities. As a result, the bokeh is not easily predictable. Take a look at these two photos: <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Olympus_List/Posts&image=_DSC0514-16cr.jpg>

For the first, I used the frame around the window pane as frame. Then, I decided to take a straight shot, so moved closer, maybe about 18 inches. In both cases, the flower is fine, just as though I cropped no. 1. But the bokeh is very different.

Perhaps we should coordinate just so we don't bid against each other :-).

You laugh, but MikeG and I did just that, once. Not much risk here. I think I'm finished buying for bubbles for the moment; time for some digestion of all that I've bit off.

Some lenses I need to get out more with are Cosina, Rikenon, and Porst 55mm
F1.2 (PK mount), not to mention many other lenses.

The weather is warming and here was a shot yesterday with the
Cosina:https://photos.app.goo.gl/FJY9HUr7avCyJAAg9

Nice. But I'd like the clump just above the main subject to be either more or less in focus. I like the next one, Cosinon 50/1.8, better. Could be partly the colors. 😁

Some interesting lens notes here:
https://www.mike-lee.org/scripts/camera/view.pl?id=323

According to Toby Marshall the Cosina 55mm in PK mount is not the same as the Cosinon 55mm in m42.
And in this article, the "Revuenon, Rikenon, Cosina and Vivitar Series 1 with 58mm filter
thread and Pentax K mount" is implied to be the same. I have not seen the VMC version of this
lens? The Porst I have: "This lens has no relation to the Tomioka 55/1.2 family." Which
implies it is different... I'll have to experiment.

I didn't realize: "Revuenon, Rikenon, Cosina and Vivitar Series 1 with 58mm filter
thread and Pentax K mount was manufactured until 2004."

All too incestuous and complex for my brain. 😉 Besides, I have lots of 50-ish mm lenses of all sorts. How about moving from bubbles to glow? <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Olympus_List/Posts&image=_DSC0103fp.jpg>

I was testing the OM 50/1.4 G.Zuiko, which does not quite get the same level of
bubbles. Here are some test shots at end of my growing vintage stuff
https://photos.app.goo.gl/TR5Ud27mgL5cvdoJ8

Yeah, I took a quick look at that lens; best for straight photography where it
excels

Sorry to say I don't have a frog to blow the bubbles.

Wayning Bubbles Moose

WayneS