Re: [OM] New entry in Bubble Stakes

Subject: Re: [OM] New entry in Bubble Stakes
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2023 08:11:40 -0700
At 3/24/2023 06:14 PM, Moose wrote:

>On 3/23/2023 4:14 PM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:
>>At 3/23/2023 11:56 AM, Frog blowing bubbles wrote:
>>>Vivitar Varifocal
>>>35-85/2.8<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Tech/Vivitar%2035-85%20f2.8%20Varifocal>
>>>
>>>Beautifully made and in mintish condition. The varifocal thing is a little
>>>annoying, though. I avoided them in film days, and I was right.
>>>
>>>Still some bubbly lenses out there that are cheap!
>>>
>>>Forever Blowing Bubbles Moose
>>>
>>>(Well, not really. I think this is the last bubbler.)
>>Funny I recently acquired one and I remember there was quite a bit of
>>discussion of this lens in the way past. Same conclusion, varifocal thing is
>>annoying. I have not had time to check it out.
>
>I hope my simple examples may give you some starting points.
>
>>Someone I follow on flickr, Dhina A, posts quite a selection of lenses,
>>including this one.
>>https://www.flickr.com/photos/photovibes/albums/72157712631053412
>
>>Dhina Ahttps://www.flickr.com/photos/photovibes/
>
>Yup, I used her and Toby Marshall to look for good bubblers that haven't
>jumped up in price.
>
>>I like the frog.
>
>He's been at loose ends since leaving a fountain, pleased in his new roll as
>model. ð???
>
>A. Prince Moose

I also use Toby and Dhina A, and others on flickr, to find lenses of interest.
I probably should be spending more time taking photos than looking for glass.
Perhaps we should coordinate just so we don't bid against each other :-).

Some lenses I need to get out more with are Cosina, Rikenon, and Porst 55mm
F1.2 (PK mount), not to mention many other lenses.

The weather is warming and here was a shot yesterday with the Cosina:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/FJY9HUr7avCyJAAg9

Some interesting lens notes here:
https://www.mike-lee.org/scripts/camera/view.pl?id=323

According to Toby Marshall the Cosina 55mm in PK mount is not the same as the
Cosinon 55mm in m42. And in this article, the "Revuenon, Rikenon, Cosina and
Vivitar Series 1 with 58mm filter thread and Pentax K mount" is implied to be
the same. I have not seen the VMC version of this lens? The Porst I have: "This
lens has no relation to the Tomioka 55/1.2 family." Which implies it is
different... I'll have to experiment.

I didn't realize: "Revuenon, Rikenon, Cosina and Vivitar Series 1 with 58mm
filter thread and Pentax K mount was manufactured until 2004."

I was testing the OM 50/1.4 G.Zuiko, which does not quite get the same level of
bubbles. Here are some test shots at end of my growing vintage stuff
https://photos.app.goo.gl/TR5Ud27mgL5cvdoJ8
Sorry to say I don't have a frog to blow the bubbles.

WayneS