Re: [OM] Where are the fast UWA lenses for MFT?

Subject: Re: [OM] Where are the fast UWA lenses for MFT?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 19:26:00 -0700
Zero-D Moose writes:

<<<How much does that matter, for this use? No straight lines in the star field.

Don't care much about straight lines but some barrel distortion correction
algorithms may mess with the stars.  You are the resident expert on such
algorithms.

Resident empiricist, not expert on the math. 😉 What I was suggesting, though, was Raw conversion without distortion correction, letting the stars fall where they may, as it were. Thus avoiding any distortion of the points You have DxO, and RawTherapee is free, no?

What about the LAOWA 6 mm f/2
Zero-D<https://www.lenstip.com/646.7-Lens_review-Venus_Optics_LAOWA_6_mm_f_2_Zero-D_MFT_Coma__astigmatism_and_bokeh.html>?
 Pretty impressive.

Lack of coma is remarkable.  Heavy vignetting I can live with.   Focusing these
lenses is not trivial at 2AM.  I would say if AF, it would be in my cart.  Good
find though.

Your assignment, then, is to broker a deal 'tween Venus Optics and OMSys to put Laowa glass in an AF body, perhaps with more aperture blades.

Short of that, are there other tricks to focus? It's manual. Is it possible that it actually is at infinity focus at the mechanical stop? Does focus in daylight on really far terrestrial objects equate to stars? If so, focus and tape in place?

Should the problems of temperature on focus should be minuscule at this FL? Pix of the lens don't have the "lying down L" infinity marker.

Doesn't appear to be available as yet; not on Amazon and listed as 'New Item -
Coming Soon' on B&H.

BTW, it's not completely manual. <https://www.thephoblographer.com/2022/12/20/weird-but-insanely-wonderous-laowa-6mm-f2-zero-d-mft-review/#innovations>
There is no aperture ring, the camera adjusts that.
"While many manual focus lenses lack an electronic connection with the camera body, the Laowa 6mm isn’t completely manual. Photographers can still use features like aperture priority mode and auto ISO. The lens metadata is also still saved to the file."

And, EXIF!

"Close to the mount on the underside, there’s a Micro USB port."

What for??

Another review, just posted 3 days ago.
<https://www.opticallimits.com/m43/1165-laowa6f2mft?start=2>

Laowa saith:
"Auto Aperture – Electrical Contacts included EXIF

This lens build in with electrical contacts, allows the adjustment of aperture via the camera body. The focus magnifier can also be controlled for easier focusing by rotating the focus ring on the lens body.  The metadata will be stored on EXIF."

No mention of the USB port and no user manual seems to be available.

Not as wide as my Voightländer 10/5.6, nor much wider than Panny 7-14, so Terrestrial Moose less excited than he might otherwise have been.

Meandering Widely Moose