Re: [OM] Photos: Birds, Bees, Butterflies

Subject: Re: [OM] Photos: Birds, Bees, Butterflies
From: DZDub <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 11:50:57 -0500
On Sat, Sep 24, 2022 at 7:36 PM MICHAEL GORDON via olympus <
olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Great series.  Enjoyed them.
> Last outing with NABA group at Appleton today but with the drought ( not
> much curly dock),
> wind and chill not a Bronze  Copper to be seen.   Plenty of asters and
> some other flutterbys after it warmed up.  Might not have time to process
> for several weeks.

Thanks for looking, Mike.  Our dock has been blown up for a few weeks now.
There was a lot earlier.  I just came upon some fritillaries yesterday --
one quite chewed up, but others respectably intact.  Pal-sy with the
monarches.  I was out with Pen F and mZ 12-200.  Nice day.

I’m with His Mooseness on the noise and raw files.  Some metadata
> corrections are baked in the raw files
> for most converters like distortion but not noise to my knowledge.

I think we are probably talking about two different things.  It's my fault
for being unclear in the first place.

I should not have implied that I was talking about raw conversion per se
but the programs that do raw conversion and other things as well, in my
case OM Workspace.   The unique thing, presumably, about OM Workspace is
that its "photo finishing" tools have some links with Oly camera settings.
I can change picture mode and other settings that I have set and saved in
the camera.  They all offer many of these tools at least generically.  OMW
makes me feel like it has a more intimate relationship with the camera
settings themselves.

But I had thought NR was not one of the things I can change in OMW.  I have
since discovered that I can.  A minor, but still good thing.  It lurked in
Viewer3 on the RAW 2 page.  In OMW it's about five pages deep.  In OMW all
of the "camera settings" switches are surrounded by tools that seem like
they are there to get you to make OMW your one-step raw conversion/jpg
photo finisher/organizer a la LR.  Even the process to export to PS seems a
little more buried and vague than in Viewer but easy enough once sorted.

Joel W.