[OM] Photos: Birds, Bees, Butterflies

Subject: [OM] Photos: Birds, Bees, Butterflies
From: DZDub <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2022 10:20:17 -0500
I thought I would show some work after a very fun August.  I've been
retired a while, my wife is newly retired, and we've been running around
doing things together like a couple of kids.  Our city's parks and rec
plowed up green spaces and planted prairie plants -- a bit of Canada rye
and bluestem grasses but mainly asters.  Meanwhile, we got some blossoms
from the buddleia we planted last fall and bought a few more buddleias, now
in the ground, that we kept on the deck for their fragrance while they were
still actively blooming.  So I didn't really have to venture far for the
following photos.  I'd recommend zipping through them quickly, but do let
me know if any cause you to linger.

http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=23956&g2_page=1

Technical notes:  probably most photos were captured through my mZ 100-400
in either my EM-1iii or Pen-F.  I find both cameras about the same as to
end results, but they are very different in use.  Over the course of the
summer I got a mZ 12-200, but I don't think any photos with that lens are
represented here.  Many if not most of these photos are sizable crops.

The cameras are new to me in the last year, so I have been refining my
settings with use.  I use OM Workspace for raw conversion, usually just
passing them through to PS, but occasionally adjusting gamma a bit or
muting colors if the "natural" settings blocks up yellows or reds too
much.  Because "raw" is not completely raw, noise filter settings can only
be changed in the camera, not in OMW (at least as far as I can find), so
some captures had a bit more noise filtering than I have come to like.  I
pass the converted TIFs, after modest process -- mainly levels and possibly
some H/S balancing, some edge burning as desired -- through Topaz DeNoise
and Sharpening AI.  I run these programs in batch as much as possible.
It's quite possible that managing more per photo might render a better
result, but I've been mainly focused on shooting.  Computer work is for
long winter nights, which will be here soon enough.  Sorry -- long-winded
as usual.  Thanks to Ke Norton for giving the gallery space and maintaining
it!

Joel W.