Re: [OM] Photos: Birds, Bees, Butterflies

Subject: Re: [OM] Photos: Birds, Bees, Butterflies
From: DZDub <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 10:57:40 -0500
On Fri, Sep 23, 2022 at 8:11 PM Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 9/22/2022 11:20 AM, DZDub wrote:
>
> > http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=23956&g2_page=1
>
> Quite the enjoyable bunch!

Thanks kindly.  Dean Hansen sent me a note offlist helping me correct some
misidentifications, mainly monarchs vs. viceroys. I've updated the photos.
Most of the butterflies were pretty battered.  The swallowtails had all
lost at least parts of their wings.  I prefer to see the butterflies
crawling around and working the flower, but most of the full-spread shots
were also just a little sad.

> I'm curious why your EXIFs, otherwise complete, don't have lens model. The
> Oly processing strips it out?

Not deliberate because I pay no attention.  It appears to go lost in the PS
save-for-web action.  I'll see what can be done in the dialogues there.  I
know that I changed it so that File Info could pass through.

I've never found camera NR settings to affect Raw files.

You use ACR.  I think you will find that OMW works differently.  This is
one of our agree-to-disagree preferences.  OMW allows adjustment of most
in-camera settings, but not NR, I find.  It seems like a glitch to me not
to include it, but the things that can be changed in OMW pretty closely
match the items in the super panel, and NR is not there.  You have to dive
into the Custom menu ->Exp/ISO to lower the default NR "standard" setting,
which is too aggressive for me where noise is a factor.  "Low" is better
and what I have selected.  The "low" setting still leaves DeNoise with
something to do, so I haven't fretted over this.  I like a bit of NR in
cases where I shoot jpgs instead of raw (FB and HDR), but I could turn NR
off entirely and just may.

Actually, you were the one who made a comment that got me engaged on this.
You suggested that my cedar waxwing set from a couple of months ago had too
much NR applied and you thought it had removed some detail.  Whether NR
actually vitiated the final result, I discovered that I couldn't adjust NR
in OMW.  I processed it in ACR and found the noise that way.

Thanks for looking and commenting.  Happy trails!

Joel W.