Re: [OM] More Pix

Subject: Re: [OM] More Pix
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2022 21:23:38 -0700
On 9/4/2022 11:02 AM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:
At 9/3/2022 09:58 PM, Moose wrote:

A couple of things around the house.

A striking intersection of light with ordinary objects.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Olympus_List/Posts&image=_9031716rotcroof100.jpg>
nice

Thanks!

A different look for a favorite subject.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Olympus_List/Posts&image=_DSC0103fp.jpg>
Sexy

A close to perfect little sculpture. To me, line is very important, and these
lines are wonderful.

I've shot it in different ways, at different angles, with different lenses.
This is a favorite.

Did I post this before?
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Olympus_List/Posts&image=_DSC0111cr.jpg>

The last two are with the LensBaby Velvet 85/1.8. I'm warming to it. 😉
Still trying to wrap my head around LB vs Vintage.

Vintage:

1. Made to be as good as possible with the tech of the time and the limits of budget. So, on average, name brands from the same time will be optically better than secondary and mystery brands. I have lenses labeled Super Lentar, Hanimex, Spiratone, Sankor, JC Penny, Alpex and Industar in my menagerie.

They have old coatings, single or early multi. Good? Bad?

2. They are old, internal designs may be odd. Things already have or may go wrong. I started having trouble with my Canon 58/1.2. The diaphragm and/or pre-set mechanism got sticky/weird. It looked inside like a tough job. I bought another one, which is fine.

LensBaby:

Although some of their lenses give vintage like results, their design goals are
broader than that.
With overall soft, sharp center with soft surround, linear sharp zone, which may be rotated, twisty, Velvet (as above), pinhole/sieve/zone plate, and so on, they aim to give photographers who want unusual effects unique tools. With large image circles and bendable and angle adjustable mounts for the interchangeable optics series, the sharp area may be put other than in the center of the frame.

Contemporary multi-coating. Undoubtedly not as good as the major players, but
pretty effective.

Lomography:

Much more about recreating the looks, external and optical, of famous vintage lenses - but in shorter FLs. Designed for FF format, but will work on smaller. I'm not sure I "get" most of them.

If looking for a particular "look" or effect, check out their samples and examples on the image sharing sites. I don't much care whether what I want comes from a vintage or contemporary lens.

Image Mad Moose